Monday, May 2, 2011

Talk of the town

"I don't care what the elections is about. I will just strike my vote and make it a void vote. "

That was my attitude, just 2 weeks ago when I heard the news of the government being dissolved and that polling day would be in May. All I could be glad is that, wow, I have another public holiday!

But, this year's elections seem to be set for something much bigger scale than what I remember of the last one...somehow. It is definitely more exciting than I thought and created many 'wows' for me. For one, I think it was a walkover on my side in the last round since I have never seen the trucks with loud hailers in my district.

Many contested seats:
Wow, in the first place, I never knew that there were so many parties in Singapore with passionate people who cares for their country and try to want to make a difference. I admit, I lived in ignorance for the past over 20 years with regards to our political scene because I have been brought up so comfortably in a stable environment. This time, I start to see different things and different facts, as well as different opinions. I think this is a good sign, that I see Singaporeans fighting for the best of their country.

The 'Singaporean' spirit:
While it seems like many people constantly want to leave this country because of this and that, it feels to me that this elections has pulled Singaporeans back together and make them 'one' again to think for their own future. Credits to the many different parties contesting the seats this time, and people are thus forced to see and think rather than to be led on blindly. So it's another 'wow', we all have a common topic now to discuss. Wherever you are in Singapore, you can't miss the fact that elections are coming. And through this elections, you get to observe different people's behaviours and understand the society you live in better. What people say, and how they say things, really reflect a lot on how they are and the culture of the country.

Print media vs new media:
Well, print media, as everyone feels so, is definitely prone to skewed reporting and downscaling of certain news to push forth certain ideologies. On the other hand, new media is expected to liberate the 'minority voice' and let everyone be heard rather than only the prominent voices. Print media is still doing its job now, trying to be objective but seems to be slightly skewed in light of elections. But take a look at new media.. wow, impressive activity level. Oppressed voices are now all speaking up, news which were downscaled in print media are dug up and spreading like fire across the net. Amongst these, netizens voices - words, both beautiful and ugly, superficial and with depth, cheering and boo-ingl they are all appearing from everywhere! You can't miss comments on GE once you log onto Facebook.

Statistics:
These numbers are all just an illusion, a play of numbers, to create some sense out of some records of certain items. Statistics can be interpreted from different angles (guess most students who have used statistics to prove hypotheses before would know!) and can be presented in different lights to translate to created facts.. how true they are and how much we should believe would be totally up to us!

'Opposition':
Actually I don't understand why minority parties are called 'opposition' as this term, by itself, has a demeaning connotation..but it seems like now it is cool to label yourself as 'opposition' and to support 'opposition'. I feel that by using such a term, it stirs up more subjective feelings that objective judgments, and we can see quite clearly that the various parties tactics mainly are to attack your heart (emotions) or your mind (logic). In a way, to be objective, I think words with emotional attachments should be used cautiously.

Ignorance is bliss?:
As mentioned, this was the attitude I embraced. But this time, with so many parties contesting, suddenly you realise that your one vote might actually make a difference. Many people have been criticised for blindly being led on under one ruling party for a long time. Like me, I might have just blindly opted for stability in my area since I had no major concerns? But now, with many parties contesting and I am seeing many good calibres in the various parties, perhaps talent has been diversified and we should vote the best into the government. While I think it is wrong to be led on blindly, at the same time, I think it is definitely also wrong to believe and 'oppose' blindly. Ignorance is no longer bliss as you think about your future. I think we really have to exercise our judgment. You may not trust the mainstream media at all... but at the same time you should filter for yourself what you see on new media and not blindly believe what you see.

Simplification of ideas:
This is a must-have for leaders to put across their ideologies and plans they have for the country so that we can understand. However, we should not be led on to think that really, everything is that simple. I think we should learn to identify the complexity of issues and to weigh and relate them in terms of micro and macro level, from the individual level to national level to regional level and also in the context of the world. So, while issues might be singled out to pick on, we should remember that all these happened in the context of the larger society and you have to consider other factors which come along with it. There is no free lunch in this world, nothing can come only as the best without other effects which might not have been as desirable.

Moving on:
While many people harp on the past and lament about 'damage' done, we cannot go back and un-do anything (the already rising living costs/housing costs). Why not look ahead into the future and see what can be done about it (eg. slowing down the rate of rising housing costs)? There is no point in blaming and scolding because it gets you nowhere.. At this point while we appoint leaders, it is important to see what they can offer in the future and how they can make the future a better one for everyone. It is clear that every party has their own talents and capabilities, we should thus choose our leaders with care to move towards an all-rounded government.

A heart for Singapore can be felt from the bottom of our hearts...no matter whether you are a civilian or leader. Choose wisely!

No comments: