In society, there are people who just head into a company, perhaps for a high-paying job, and slog their lives off without finding meaning in their jobs. At the same time, there are also people who find so much meaning in what they do, that they just live on their passion. Striking a balance is never easy. Being in my twenties and still new to the job market, I have been advised to try several jobs before settling down, instead of jumping straight into one company and proclaiming my life-long loyalty to that company. My neighbour and I have agreed several times that yes, we should explore while we are young and probably by around the age of 30, start thinking of what we really want as a career and stop hopping around already. But somehow, both of us decided to stay on.
Signing on another year, I have seen so many raised eyebrows from my friends.
“Why? It doesn’t pay you well.”
“Go for a government job instead, don’t be stupid.”
Of course, there were some encouraging ones who told me to go for what I like, but few.
So what do I like? Just barely less than one year ago, I stood empty and blank-headed after graduation, not knowing where to head to. I’m lucky, I found this job online, sent in my application and woo-hoo, I got it. Bringing worries of not being able to tahan a 9-6 office job, I stepped into office last July and told myself I have to endure this contract no matter what. It's only 8 months anyway, not short but not long either. I met nice people, had some really unique experiences, and wow, I realized I like this job. So, while people try out jobs to find that they do not like the job, I have to say I tried out this job and found how much I liked it, inspiring me to stay on here. Perhaps working in this field, you can never get rich. But the intangibles I get from this job cannot be compensated by money as well.

And so, moving on, I’ve decided to leave my part-time job. Similarly, that was a job which met with raised eyebrows from friends and family, but you can never deny the amount of experience I’ve gained, the life lessons learnt during the 3 ½ years here. No regrets about any time wasted, nor the relatively not so high pay I receive there in exchange.
When it’s time to move, get going! Now, I get to spend more time with my loved ones and to protect myself against dark eye rings!! Still finding my balance in life, I have to admit I pretty much love my life as it is now. Of course, this is not a time to get complacent about my life and stop moving forth. Coming year, I’ll see if I’m really up to my job as well, or whether it’s time to move on next year. At the same time, I better stop being lazy and open my eyes to see even more of this world!
No comments:
Post a Comment